Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Music to the Soul

I have always tried to have an open mind and that really shows in the music I listen to while driving. From Cube to Green Day, talk radio and jazz, you never know what you will hear when you jump in the car with me. So the other day I picked up one of my younger boys (YWeedy)and the conversation went something like this:

Me: What up?

YWeedy: What up? You mind if I smoke this in here?

Me: Naw go ahead just roll the window down.

YWeedy: Fo sho....("for some strange reason I can't explain, I know St. Peter will call my name")...what the fuck you listening to?

Me: Cold Play, don't tell me you haven't heard this song!

YWeedy: (puff, puff)...fuck that shit, I don't listen to that bullshit! All I listen to is Rap and some R&B when I'm with my lady.

Me: For real? So no jazz, rock, country, or nothing huh?

YWeedy: (puff, puff)...nigga didn't you hear me last time!

Me: Okay, so why do you listen to music?

YWeedy: (puff, puff)...nigga the same reason you do....(puff, puff)...when I get in my whip I like to bump my shit!

Me: You still haven't answered why you listen to music.

YWeedy: (puff, puff)...nigga why you listen to music?

Me: I see you can't really answer the question so I will tell you I listen to music for entertainment value. I enjoy listening to the lyrics and beats as well as the instruments and arrangements different artists use.

YWeedy: (puff, puff)...yeah that's why I listen to it to!

Me: Okay then why don't you listen to music other than Rap and R&B?

YWeedy: (puff, puff)...nigga because I'm from the eastside! We don't listen to that other bullshit over here!

Me: Well I'm from the eastside to and I listen to it all the time!

YWeedy: (puff, puff)...nigga you different and shit! You was in the army and shit and went to school and shit. You know you kinda sold out!

Me: What?

YWeedy: (puff, puff)...yeah I said it! Listening to this bullshit, car seat all close to the steering wheel! It's okay though you still my nigga!

Me: So what you are saying is the music you listen to is what makes you who you are?

YWeedy: (puff, puff)...naw! You know what I mean.

Me: Yes, I do know what you mean. You have gotten so caught up in the same stereotypes that you would want to fight over, that you feel you have to listen to a certain type of music to validate your 'hoodness'. You can no longer listen to music for its entertainment value.

YWeedy: Yes I can nigga, I just choose to be entertained by my music!

Me: No, you won't even open up your mind in an attempt to appreciate anything other than Rap and R&B. You really bring up a good question though and I don't think you see it.

YWeedy: (puff, puff)...see what nigga?

Me: That people have to make a decision. People must decide does music define their life or just enhance by entertaining.

YWeedy: (puff, puff)...nigga what you talkin bout?

Me: People like you have made a decision, either consciously or unconsciously, that they will only listen to a certain type of music because of who they are or where they come from. People like me listen to anything and can find entertainment in anything because I don't feel the need to define myself by what I listen to.

YWeedy: (puff, puff)...nigga that's kinda deep but you still a sell out!

Me: Yeah but not because of what I listen to nigga!



What do you think?

No comments: